Raising funds for research for the RCH Developmental Medicine department.
Area: Glen Waverley
The story so far
A spin off from Waverley Auxiliary, Beryl and I formed “Do-Bees” in 2008 to continue support for the work of the Departmental Medicine and its then head, Associate Professor Dr Dinah Reddihough, AM. We lived quite a way from Waverley and its activities and wished to work closer to home. Monthly RCH stalls sold craft goods made by the talented Beryl; Doris made jams, pickles and cakes. We also sold items donated by our supporters. Beryl’s card holders have sold in large numbers, by Barbara and Karen in particular. Other helpers have knitted booties, baby jackets and rugs. Helann and her craft group have been great contributors for a number of years. Another supporter, David and his wife Jenny created a Doll’s House for us to raffle. The next year David made a Doll’s cradle which held a china doll donated by one of Helann’s group. Red Hat Ladies group also donated money raised at one of their functions. So the community has been most significant in helping us to raise money. This has funded research including Prada-Willi and CP register among other research projects. Now mainly retired, we contribute whebnever possible and support Waverley Auxiliary’s efforts.
What we are working on
Do-Bees mainly raises money by selling craft items and food (jams, preserves and cakes) as well as donated items on stalls in at the RCH. Its members have manned merchandise stalls and formerly helped in the Gift Shop. Beryl is involved in the Made by Us group. The Auxiliary’s goal is to continue to raise needed funds for Developmental Medicine department so that children might become free of some of these disabilities.
Special thanks to
- Colonial Fruits – who supported Ultimate Challenge Auxiliary and now send sale proceeds to us.
- Dianne Anthony, Jeweller – another Ultimate Challenge supporter.
- Karen MacDonald and her clever craft ladies (patchwork quilt experts).
- Helann Rowland and the North Balwyn ex-probus craft group for knitting and craft.
- Lois Hewson and Pam Cawton for beautiful craft work.
- Tunstall Fresh Fruit and Vegetables.
- Nunawading Chiropractic and Podiatry.
- The former Ultimate Challenge members who continue to help the department though encouraging good will, donation of raffle prizes and sale of goods.
- Jenny and Chris for donation of raffle prizes and goods for sale.
President: Doris Tatman
Secretary: Beryl Reeves
Treasurer: Peter Tatman
03 9723 6478